Why choose a SAFE checking account?
With no fees, advanced digital banking, and convenient debit card access, SAFE’s checking accounts come packed with all the features you’re looking for—all for free.
Interested in opening a checking account with SAFE Federal Credit Union? Take a moment to familiarize yourself with the available account options.
Traditional Checking Account
Our hassle-free checking account where high service meets high tech. It’s a great option for any SAFE member interested in protecting their hard-earned income.
- Minimum Opening Deposit – $25
- Minimum Balance to Earn Dividends – $500
- No minimum balance required
- No monthly maintenance charges
- No per-check fees
- Interest earned and paid every month
- Free access to SAFE’s mobile and online banking services
- Visa® Debit Card
- Overdraft protection plans available by linking your account to a line of credit, your savings, your SAFE Insured Money Market Checking Account, or another fund
- Federally insured for up to $250,000 by the NCUA
- Debit Card Access
With your SAFE Visa® Debit card, you’ll be able to withdraw funds from your checking account quickly and easily at an ATM, and make purchases wherever you see the Visa®, Plus, CO-OP, Armed Forces Financial Network (AFFN), or Interlink logos.
Whether you’re at the grocery store, the movies, or anyplace else, SAFE’s Visa® debit card is the easy and convenient way to pay at millions of merchants worldwide. The best part—it comes standard when you open your checking account.
- Overdraft Privilege Plus Opt-In
Interested in having complete overdraft coverage for your Visa® Debit Card and ATM transactions? Contact us at 800-763-8600, option 2 #.
- Funds Availability Policy
Depending on the type of check you deposit into your checking account, your deposited funds may not be available until the second business day after the deposit.
In some cases, we may delay the availability of your funds beyond the standard hold. You should refer to the credit union's full Funds Availability Policy in your Membership, Account, and Account Services Agreement for additional information about the availability of your deposits or call our Member Service Center at 800-763-8600 option 2 #.
Y Checking Account
Exclusively for teens aged 15 – 17, Y Checking is the smart first step into adult checking. See why Y Checking is a teen’s best choice for making everyday purchases and managing money.
- Age – Child must be 15 -17 years old
- Minimum Opening Deposit – $25
- All the benefits associated with a traditional checking account
- Earn dividends on months when there is a $500 average daily balance or greater
- Free Visa Debit Card- With a parent’s consent and special limits for young spenders
Checking Overdraft Line of Credit
SAFE offers an overdraft line of credit to give you peace of mind when unexpected expenses come up. It's simply a loan attached to your checking account that can help cover expenses and avoid bounced checks, missed payments, and standard overdraft fees. With limits of up to $15,000 and one low, fixed rate, you'll never have to worry.
- Limits available up to $15,000
- APR* 17.95%
Checking Account FAQs
Online, or In-person—it only takes a few minutes to open your account and start enjoying all the benefits that come with it!
SAFE's routing number is always listed at the bottom of our website. You'll also find it, along with your account number within your Online Banking account.
Yes, you can open a joint account online or at a branch. Just make sure you provide us with information like address, date of birth, social security number, etc. for all account holders.
Balance Your Checkbook Calculator
Want to get all your financial ducks in a row? Tabulate your expenditures and deposits using our handy-dandy calculator and put yourself on a path toward a balanced checkbook.
Open a Checking Account
Looking for a hassle-free checking account or a way to help your child learn responsible spending habits? We’re here to help you get started. It’s simple to open an account online, or you can send us a message to discuss your options.